I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Confusion - Not So Much

I suck. Last night was very bad and this morning isn't so good either. I really had been hoping to get into the orthopedic doctor this week (am still trying to). This morning, on the way into work, I sneezed and nearly went off the road.

So I'm not going to be able to see all my friends this weekend. Making the four hour drive into Detroit just isn't going to work if every bump I cross sends spasms of pain across my right shoulder (just thinking about I-80 right now sends shivers down my spine). Add in the inability to find a comfortable sleeping position and laying awake for a couple hours each night waiting for the over-the-counter pain meds to kick in and I'll be exhausted again by this weekend. Convensions normally drain me of any energy I have. So even if I could make it up there, I don't think I'd be able to make it back on Sunday. Driving cross-eyed, half dead, brain fuzzy, along a fairly straight strip of asphault, in approaching twighlight, probably not the best idea.

This really pisses me off. There were a lot of things going on that I wanted to be a part of this weekend, meeting up with the Haskell/Kletcha Clutch, a book launch party, seeing my friends from other convensions who were going to be at this one this year, meeting up with everybody I know and have met there (hell, I finally have a book for Karl Schroeder to autograph), hanging out with all of you all (hell, I know more people at this convention than I know from any other), meeting the twins, just all kinds of things and that's before we get to the actual programming of the con (which looks great, again), and the obligatory hanging-out in the bar (where excellent things have happened every year I've been there).

But really, I'm not fun to be around at the moment. Last night I was crabby at my wife for no real reason. Laughing actually hurts. As in serious pain. The drugs are making me woozy and scatter brained, I would probably be heading to the bed at 10pm instead of my usual 1-3am.

(redacted - long string of cursing and kicking of objects including small kittens)

Sorry everybody. Wish I could make the party, but don't think I can. (If a miracle occurs, I'll change my mind).

edit since I wrote this, I now have an orthopedic appointment on Monday instead of Thursday the 28th.

5 comments:

Mer said...

That sucks, but knowing your limitations doesn't. Feel better, man!

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

It takes a brave man to decide to skip a treasured event because they know that the travel is not worth it.

And I do know the feeling.

Dr. Phil

Rick said...

Hey, buddy, you're going to be seriously missed. I was really looking forward to see you again, but I'd rather you rest up and get better!

Jim C. Hines said...

I'm sorry you won't be able to make it, but it sounds like the right choice. Feel better!

Steve Buchheit said...

Mer, thanks. I'm working on it. I had to realize that I wasn't immortal some time ago or my delusions would have killed me. I still want to go, even though I'm now having problems raising my arm without significant pain.

Dr. Phil, I've been debating this since last week. My main determinant yesterday was if I could cancel my room without penalty. Fortunately the good people at Confusion did an excellent job negotiating with the hotel.

Rick, I know. I meet you all for ConClave and then I never see you again. I really was hoping to remedy that this go around. Especially to hang out with the group and harrass William with the help of Deb. That's always great fun.

Jim, thanks. I'm going to miss catching up and kibitzing with you. Also, my Mermaids Madness is in serious need of a signature.