I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Feeling like an adult, and it only took until being 43

Spent part of today behaving like I was a grownup and buying real furniture. We've needed a new couch for years. Today we found a nice laz-y-boy recliner that should work. Then we spent a sizable sum on it that also made me feel older.

We've decorated in early-American poor for most of our lives. Most of our furniture is either used, self assembled, or fished out. In fact the amount we've spent on the custom shelves is greater than all of our furniture put together, including our beds.

Arm still hurts, although last night I did sleep a little better. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! 90% of my home's contents were found on the curb and dragged home or purchased in thrift shops, and I LOVE it. Down with rampant consumerism!! Down, I say!

I prefer to think of our decorating style as 'impoverished intelligentsia,' or perhaps, 'bohemian shab.'

Steve Buchheit said...

Camille, we have plenty of those. The couch we're replacing was my Mom's for about fifteen years before she gave it to us (during my ill-fated experiment of working in WVa, not that WVa was ill-fated, but that job was). That was about twelve years ago. It's pretty well broken down. And Bette wanted a couch that reclines.

the majority of furniture is second hand-me-downs, "I'll give you $10 for it" or also rescued from the sides of roads. Our beds aren't. We also have some Sauder/Put it together yourself stuff. One nice dessar we bought second hand, and our custom bookshelves (which was more like home improvement than furniture).