I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, February 19, 2010

Groundhog Day All Over Again

The spammers have left their burrows and haven't been frightened by their shadows. Just a few trial comment postings. Sigh. Here's a hint, if you're replying to a blog post I did three years ago, yeah, I'm thinking you might just be spam. Sure, there's a chance that someone is doing searches for things and lands on a page. But then to leave such a non-comment comment, I don't think so.

Today is the test. We'll see how we do. Had some slight test panic this morning. Don't know where the heck that came from. I'm normally good with these things. I think it may have to do with really wanting to hit it out of the park so they don't even think about putting me in an enumerator position. And I think that "wanting to score the best" emotion is what might be doing it. I've never really felt the need to do better than others, just do the best I can.

Also, looking at the materials for Radiologic Tech, there's also a test I need for that. Strangely enough, there's a science part of the test, but that result of that section isn't a determinant to get into the health technologies programs. The rest of the test is a general skills (math, writing, reading, cognitive), a little more rigorous than the census, but not by much (multiplying compound fractions? Really, it's a digital age, we do it with decimals now). The program itself is fast paced (most semesters you have 15-18 credit hours). Since some of those are not major specific (English, Math, Speaking), I'm hoping I can either have my BFA stand in for it, or test out of them. There's a few classes I'll need to take (as my high school experience is way too long ago). Basically three classes; Bio for Majors, Medical Terminology, and Anatomy and Physiology I. The first two I've got no issues with (heck, if I can test out of Bio for Majors I might try that, Terminology I think there's enough holes in my knowledge base there I should take it). Anatomy, though, is going to be my weeder course. It's not so much the gross anatomy things, or the functions, it's the memorization of the latin names. I've never been really good with that. Hopefully if it's presented in a logical format it'll make more sense to me. And supposedly you can complete all the coursework at night and on weekends (according to the program director Bette talked with). So that would be good.

One of the things that came up my research of it is those who have more than one methodology skill set have a better chance of being hired, increased salary, and of being promoted. The certificate programs for CT and MRI are basically the same except for four hours of clinical work. So, if I continue this, oh yeah are we going for both.

2 comments:

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

Yeah, comment spammers -- what do they think they're accomplishing? My latest was in Cyrillic, but you know what? I didn't even have to trot out my 20-year-old Russian. Just cut-and-paste into Google Translate. Yup, sex spam. In a posting on Fairy Tales. (shakes head)

Dr. Phil

woesurac -- a sad Vulcan (Surac sounds like a Vulcan name to me.)

Steve Buchheit said...

Dr. Phil, they're link farming. It doesn't matter if the link in from their name or a stealth link in their post, as long as they get cataloged by the search engines.