I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Saturday, April 17, 2010

WIPping in the wind

We have an extension, and I've been working hard on chapters this afternoon. Some major additional text, and a few "that don't make no sense," edits. Salt in some "but you said this over here which contradicts or repeats that" edits and we've done some work today. So we have an updated word count.

This morning we went to Lakeland Community College for "Free College Day." They have a few classes you can attend for free. Basically a big, "Don't you want to go/come back to school" advertisement. One class was on genealogies, I went to another on grammar (can't never get enough of that grammar stuff), and then to a class on radiology. It promised to have disturbing images, and a few people did have to leave, but I guess they weren't all that disturbing to me. One extra showed a major leg break and Bette and I said, "Hey, that looks familiar" (wasn't me, but it was close). Quite a number of "foreign object insertions" which were just wrong. Some things I'm sure would put some people off their lunch. There were a number of radiological students in that class (I took notes on some of the things they were saying).

I wanted to go to that final class to see if I had what it would take. And if I couldn't view the xrays/CRT/MRI scans without having a problem, then I might need to rethink my future plans. While there were a bunch of images that most people might go "oooo, ewwwww" (like one CRT slide with an enlarge aorta that's begun to weaken, and the next slide show it burst, or the conjoined infants), but it was the severed spine that affected me most. Probably because I recognized it instantly, and that it meant a snapped spinal cord.

Tomorrow I'll need to go through my book, also known as my portfolio and add in the latest pieces. That means moment of "I'm the greatest" mixed with "what kind of crap have I been passing off all these years?" Hey, it happens. I may look like a veritable fortress of confidence, but that just masks the insecurities that hide inside.

No comments: