I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Three on a lunch dime

A long piece on how authors really make money. A decent read. I'm about halfway through so far. A good quote so far, "Despite the industry-encouraged myth that print has no margins, a hardcover book sold for $20, assuming no graphics or color, can often be produced for less than $2 a copy." Understand that is the cost of the physicality of the book. The rest goes into royalties, upfront costs, and margins. Although his link to Author Solutions bothers me. I think I remember something not so good about them, but can't call it up quick. Use at your own risk. (grokked from Tobias Buckell).

Mer Haskell has a new story up at Strange Horizons. Mer's good. You should be reading her.

A piece in the New Yorker on the Koch brothers. I think I've talked about them before, and their names come up all the time in my sourcewatch searches. (grokked from Jay Lake)

No comments: