I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, August 19, 2010

You may ask yourself… TMI?

I have to remember to drink more water. When I was at Modern I was often joked about for bringing in four to five bottles of water a day. Lots of "Thirsty, eh" comments. Well, no. It was a way of keeping hydrated and knowing how much I should be drinking during the day.

At the current job we have bottled water available in the office fridge. Instead of the "Spring water" I normally buy, this is "purified water" (which means tap water, but we run it through some filters). Okay. I can deal with that. One because I'm not paying for it, but two because water is really H2O and that's what I'm after (this isn't a life style thing).

But without a visual reminder or the heft of hauling it in, I find myself drinking less. Which I think is leading to me eating more (the hyperphagia I talked about). Many times, when we're thirsty, our bodies interpret that impulse as being hungry. Another symptom I notice is on the other end. While the colon (your large intestine which consists of the Cecum, Ascending, Transverse, Descending, and Sigmoid colon and then the Rectum) is there to remove water and liquids from the digested food, you still need to be hydrated to pass out the stool. Which I've also had trouble with lately. TMI?

So, yeah. Need to get back into the habit of drinking more at work. It's a little hard when things are as stressful and fast paced as they are now. I've got so many balls in the air I'm having difficulty remembering them all. No wonder than I find myself at the end of the day having only consumed two bottles of water (about 1 liter). Not good.

2 comments:

sheila, who isn't lurking today... said...

Have you considered setting an alert on your computer at intervals, to remind you to go grab a water from the fridge?

I don't get hungry, ever, and I find that setting alarms is very helpful. They keeps me from passing out, they do!

Steve Buchheit said...

Hey Sheila, I just need to remember to get up every now and then. And considering all the other alerts I have going on between several IM clients, email, calendars, etc, I'm not sure I want to add one more.