I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, December 27, 2010

Monday at the Races

So, it's been almost a week with broadband at home and how are we doing?

There were several hours of no connection at all. Many times lost packets outnumbering delivered. Some moments of "sweet," but really not enough. Having troubles tonight. So I decided to do some checking.

Out of five traceroutes to high bandwidth sites (like CNN, Apple, Blogger, Amazon, etc) the earliest I hit a backbone router was 10 hops (to be fair, the first two are my wireless node and DSL modem). So, eight hops. With a lot of lag time (like 32ms). Three out of five crapped out after 15-18 hops (that is, the trace never reached the destination). Shortest distance was 12 hops.

Now for some big downloads I've hit the max speed of 150k/sec, although normally am running at 100k/sec. On Speedtest.net we were rated at 1.18mb/sec download, 0.24mb/sec upstream (which is normal that upstream is choked down on a home connection), ping was 119ms, servers were 150 miles apart.

I haven't had the heart to try hulu, or anything of a real heavy usage. Not like this would be the computer to run them on (being a ten year old laptop).

And now you know why I wasn't all that hot to upgrade.

No comments: