I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pre-New Year Rambles

Okay, during the process of getting ready this morning, brushing my hair and combing my teeth, I kept telling myself to stick that little USB drive, with the backup of all my writing, in my pocket. Yeah, just take it with you today (as you normally did, before all this holiday nonsense).

Only I forgot. Not so bad, there's been plenty of times I've left it at home. Except that today I did have time for a regular lunch and really wanted to work on stuff. But did I put it in my pocket before leaving home? No. That would have been simple.

Yeah, I know, one of the argument for GoogleWorks or Dropbox. Except for not having broadband before, which made those solutions less attractive. And now for my dropbox account I have too many people linked to it (although it should only be to single folders, but I can't find the tool that would tell me who has access to what there so I'm loath to upload my writing there). And I like to be able to work on my stuff where ever without leaving log in notifications everywhere.

Sigh.

And I guess I can let the cat out of the bag here, I've restarted the rewriting and editing of "Bladesman." Like Inigo, I went back to the beginning. First three chapters, except for inserting four lines into Chapter 2, I didn't touch much. Which has me worried (although it shouldn't, the first 5 chapters are the most heavily worked on).

My friend Steve, has some thoughts about priorities this way. And it's true. It's also one of the reasons the majority of my blog posts since mid-summer have been linkee-poos. There hasn't been much time to do anything deeper (although I do try to add some of my perspective to the links).

Wanted to get through a few more chapters last night, but we're hosting the sister-in-law and she wanted to play video games. Sigh. Also fighting the urge to get World of Warcraft. Now I have broadband, playing it would be easy. Fortunately I'm a notorious cheapskate, so the idea of continuing to pay for a video game month by month that drags against my nerves. Maybe I'll be spared there.

This past weekend I think I watched as much TV as I have the whole past fall combined. At that point, where things lay with home life I didn't really have chunks o' time to devote to any one thing in particular, being on call to help. But now that those duties are settling down into both routine and with lesser urgency and need, I finally have some time to get back to the writing. Unfortunately the sister-in-law doesn't understand the "new can sit at home without anything on and without talking to each other and be pleasantly happy" routine. So I had to help with the video games (Lego Star Wars on the Wii if you must know).

Everybody I know on the East Coast seems to have made it through the Snowpocalypse okay. Glad to see that. Hope the rest of you had a great holiday so far. And here's to a more productive and less painful New Year to come. May it see us all to better things and outcomes than the previous year.

No comments: