I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, February 4, 2011

Linkee-poo is trying to catch its breath with a butterfly net

Still trying to get back into a groove since before Confusion. Tired as all get out. Spent much extra time this week on freelance. Shifting to studying for this weekend (test originally on Wednesday that I was unprepared, I'm still unprepared for it's snow delay to Monday). Hopefully soon will be getting back to regular posts as well. Before I do, I will be back to writing (either new, or editing... thinking new for lunches, editing for home). Need to take hour lunches to help, instead of the half hour legally mandated (and often ignored).

An interesting new book on grammar. Super heros, grammar, what's not to like?

Rick lays out the guidelines for his new magazine. Steampunkery mystery and suspense. If that isn't a call for a new Sherlock re-envisioning, I don't know what is.

Michelle Argyle over at the Literary Lab on the lies you believe. I think the one writing panel I was on discussed this a little. Also, to fit with this post, "listen to all the advice, try it out (if you need to), discard what doesn't work." The hard part is figuring out what's hampering you and what's helping, at least at first. (Grokked form Jay Lake)

I have words for this, but none of them are nice (the death of Melissa Mia Hall from a preventable heart-attack, she didn't have insurance and felt she couldn't afford to go to the doctor, who probably could have diagnosed her in 5 minutes or less). There's some personal stories in here that I'm not sure I can share, but Melissa Hall isn't the only one who delays seeking treatment because of the consequences (often ending up in a more expensive therapy track, which is then put on the tax and insurance payers to carry the bill). But, hey, we have the best system out there, don't we? You know, except for living in fear of losing everything because you had the temerity to be sick. (grokked from Jim Hines)

Absurd Overheard. I've had those moments.

Hi Contrast blog, a look at an exercise every designer should be able to do with their own logo solutions. I can't tell you how many times I've encountered logos that would fail this simple test. Really, Corporate ID 101 here, folks.

And some damn nice type.

And a little on point source generation. Expect to see more of these things.

What music videos should be like. (and what they were like once upon a time) Get offa my lawn!

A SF take on political rhetoric. This could be meta in many different ways lately. Including the "bipartisan" aka "do it our way and nobody gets hurt" bs that's going around. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

No comments: