I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

think I can, think I can, oops, no I can't

This weekend the little laptop that could, couldn't. She's been slowly failing over the last month. This last insult I believe I can fix (and was an old problem I was just ignoring because I'm a cheap bastard). The wall wart finally gave up the ghost. Since the recharge circuit was gone (three weeks ago), and the battery was on it's last legs, it was a short illness.

However, with a $10 investment, a new wall wart is on its way to me and hopefully will get me back to limping along. Once that's here, if it works, I'll do a new backup (current one it two weeks old), and then try surgery to see if the charging problem is a loose daughter card (heck, even this problem maybe a loose daughter card - yes, my laptop is old enough that we're talking about daughter cards here).

I was really hoping to either finish the book rewrite or have taxes finished before I thought about replacing the laptop. And at this point, without having iPad V2.0 available, it'll probably be another laptop to replace it. Fortunately for me, Apple just refreshed their powerbook line and reduced the price of the low-end 15" powerbook.

But, until that new wall wart arrives and works (crosses fingers, raps wood, throws salt over my shoulder) things will be a little slow here. While I typically post during the day, a lot of the writing gets done at the night side. On the plus side, it may mean more posts that are linkee-poos.

No comments: