I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Linkee-poo sees a long, hot summer ahead

I'm feeling somewhat elated now that class is over. I hope to translate that into some hard work on the novel. Tonight is council, and that has the habit of taking the wind out of my sails. I also have a few freelance projects (but I'm down to the pro-bon things).

Hey, Goodreads (I finally became a member) is having a contest for 2 ARCs of Merrie Haskells The Princess Curse. If you happen to love fairy tales (which I do), you'll love this book. Spoiler, I read an early version and it rocked. Although I think she had to edit one of my favorite parts out. To say I don't want to see how it all turned out is like saying that because a diamond necklace had to replace the clasp with gold instead of silver you don't want it anymore. And just what sense does that make? You really want to read this book (makes spooky hands at you).

Today is the day that Fuzzy Nation is released into the wild. For some reason I now have a vision in my head of the Flat Iron Building (home of Tor Books), surrounded in butterflies they released from the roof. But every butterfly is actually a book. They sparkle and glint in the sunshine and then head south towards their wintering grounds in Mexico, stopping by the milkweeds of our minds to deposit the next generation.

Cat Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making is finally out in physical form. I haven't read much by Cat, but she is a fabulous writer. What I have read has been infused with magic, charm, and poetry. TGWCFiaSoHOM has already won awards for her online version (of which the book is an expanded story).

Molly Lewis asks Stephen Fry a question (Youtube video). You know something is up when a person brings an ukulele to the mic to ask a question. Okay for work, but you may not want to play it out loud. This is what smart people do to have fun (or at least the really smart ones). I think I've said it before, but faster computers are for playing better games and higher intelligence is for cracking funnier jokes. (Pointed to by John)

And on that theme, the Hugo nominated Fuck me, Ray Bradbury, Which is very definitely NSFW. Just in case you haven't seen it yet.

Well, so much for the Tea Party being a "Fiscal Only" movement. Not like I didn't see this coming.

Dear Conservatives, maybe you missed that President Obama had already outlined his position. He won't accept conditions on raising the debt limit. Hopefully he'll start pushing that agenda, as well as explaining what will happen if we don't raise the limit (on this year's budget, that was just recently passed). Many people don't remember this too well, but when the government shut down under Clinton, it was because of his veto. As he said, "I can not in good conscious sign this bill." The blame still was laid at the feet of the Republican Party. Do you think that won't happen again? You're playing a game of chicken with someone who has already stated they won't swerve. Then again, with the frothy spittle inflected lunatic rantings that have been coming out of the right lately, I'm sure in their world they will win. Unfortunately the rest of us have to live in reality.

No comments: