I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday is all right for fightin'

I think every muscle in my body hurts. I have scrapes on my leg and a raging sunburn. All from this weekend.

Yesterday morning I sent four hours helping village residents with the Village Cleanup Day. Every year has it's theme of what people are getting rid of. This year it was mattresses. Every other person seemed to have one, or more than one. Some okay, some fur covered, some moldy (one set they were nice enough to encase in plastic, although it made it difficult to maneuver), some reeking of cat urine. In fact, as we were waiting for the service to deliver the final two dumpsters we stacked up enough mattresses that when the final dumpsters arrived (not a moment too soon) we mostly filled one with the backlog. Of course there was everything else under the sun, including things we weren't allowed to accept. Some people went away mad because we wouldn't take them. Some people felt we were just their servants and didn't even bother to get out of their cars or trucks to help. Just as an FYI, none of us were paid any extra for being there, even our streets guy donated his time.

At home I did a bunch of yard work, including shoring up our mailbox. The post had snapped only slightly below grade. So I used some steel reinforcing plates that are specially made for the purpose. There were some other miscellaneous heavy lifting work.

Last night we went to see the Cirque D'Or down at Packard Music Hall. A fun show of feats of bendyness and strength. It was our first time there and I was surprised at how packed the roads were even though the show was only about half sold. I'm not sure the performers felt we were appreciative enough, but for a small group I thought we made a pretty big noise.

This morning was finishing up the mowing by doing the strip of lawn too wet to mow earlier. It was still too wet, but I didn't have a choice seeing that it is supposed to rain all this week. I've already had to brush whack one lawn because it was too high to mow, I don't want to do that again. Especially when nobody is paying me too.

So, yeah, every muscle hurts today. Even the minor ones in my arms. And I'm sunburnt all to heck and gone. Which is bad. I have an appointment with the dermatologist on Friday and I really don't want to be peeling then. It would change what I need the doctor to look at.

Anyway, hope your weekend was less painful.

No comments: