I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Just another sinner in the sea of fates

Forgive me, Robert Heinlein, for I have sinned.

It's has been over 90 days since I last committed new writing. And that was a poem I didn't finish. Adding word count to a revision or entering notes on an outline doesn't count. Or at least it feels like it doesn't count

In the past year I have started several short stories and poems, but haven't finished more than a few. I had good intentions, but we all know what is paved with good intentions. A few doesn't cut it. I should have been more diligent on finishing all that I start.

I am rewriting parts of the book I'm editing. While the edits are (mostly) based on the comments of beta readers, I have also added more and adjusted things that weren't commented on. So I have committed rewrite, not to editorial order.

Also in this last year I have let my regimen of submissions lapse to where nothing is in submission at the moment. And I have stopped submitting stories when I reach the end of what I considered markets that could either help my career or bottom line and I haven't had a sale. My trunked folder grows by leaps and bounds.

For all of these and more, I am truly sorry for my transgressions.

4 comments:

Eric said...

Does blogging count? Please tell me blogging counts? If all that counts is my moribund fiction....

::sigh::

Elizabeth said...

Say three Hail Isaacs and all will be forgiven.

Steve Buchheit said...

Eric, well it depends. I view my blog as an auxiliary writing outlet (even though I think I've done some nice stuff). Even the poetry I lump in that category. The main event is the fiction. That's what I want to write.

Elizabeth, I'm not sure that's enough of a penance. I may have to add a few dozen Our Le Guins as well. I don't think I'm to the L.E. Modesitt of the Flesh. At least not yet.

Eric said...

Steve, unfortunately that's how I feel about my blog, despite having some halfway decent* blog posts lately and nearly-nothing happening in the fiction-writing department.

::sigh:: redux...

*(And lengthy, which doesn't add quality but does make you feel like you're working, if you know what I mean. "Hello, daily word count!")