I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, August 15, 2011

Linkee-poo goes deep for a Monday

Neil Gaiman on how to read Gene Wolfe. (Grokked from Tor.com - I think)

It's Noir Week at Tor.com. Oh yes, I will be reading these.

The RIAA, the 1978 copyright laws and termination rights. Another death knell for studios. Which, you know, couldn't happen to nicer people. Of course, now the music studios are wanting to claim that such music works were "work for hire" even though the musicians paid for studio time and were paid royalties. But I'm sure they'll fight it tooth and nail. (Grokked from Vince)

Look, the UN report on global warming was wrong! Wrong. Wrong in that it underestimated the thinning of arctic sea ice by a factor of 4. Whoops. "One of the results that surprised us all was the number of computer simulations that indicated a temporary halt to the loss of the ice… that we could see a 10-year period of stable ice or even a slight increase in the extent of the ice." Get the climate deniers ready for that one. I'm sure they'll have press releases galore, ignoring the fact that the "stable" period is still 1/3 less ice than 1979 levels. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

And speaking of climate change denial, an article on the demographics of climate denial and how it's mostly about world view. It reminds me of when I was in the 1st grade, there was this bully. He thought nobody could touch him. And one day he charged me to knock me down and ran straight into my out stretched fist, knocking the wind out of him and throwing him to the ground. Even though he saw my fist, it never entered his mind that I would resist and that he could be hurt. Even after getting up he denied it ever happened. Worldviews, they're a bitch to change. (pointed to by Sheila)

John Scalzi mirrors most of my own commentary on the opinion piece by Warren Buffet, "Stop Coddling the Super-Rich. (opinion article Grokked from Jay Lake)

Eric on an error Paul Krugman makes and why the "Texas Miracle" will be great for all of us. I might have to post the internal funny corporate Xmas card I made last year (or the "Inspiration Poster" I did this Spring).

And speaking of Rick Perry, is he a Manchurian Candidate? (Grokked from Jay Lake)

A little Spy vs Spy (for this day and age), the Chinese may have been granted access to our stealth helicopter that crashed and was demoed in Abbottabad before the Pakistani's returned it to us. With a side note about the Chinese getting access to the F-117A that the Serbs downed. Our friends the Pakistanis and Chinese.

And the Daily KOS on government being the solution. Insight into the progressive mind. "The key to the nature of progressivism is the realization that the size and scope of government and the freedom of the individual do not stand in diametrical opposition." (Grokked from Jay Lake)

No comments: