I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, August 19, 2011

Linkee-poo waits, waits, Mr. Postman

Kevin Brockmeier with a chronological list of statements people made to him at the Iowa Writers' Workshop, 1995-1997. All I can say is I'm glad I found a better set of writers to hang out with. (Pointed to by F.J. Bergmann)

How the Tea Party has changed, and their actual relationship to their purported ideals of small government and lower taxes. Wish they would have published the actual data instead of making it an op-ed. Basically majority social conservatives, former Republican activists, "concerned about putting God in government," just like the people they helped elect. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Senator Tom Coburn demonstrates the very worst of concealed carry laws. (Grokked from Vince)

Jon Stewart on the spills the beans about how Moody would bend their analysis to meet customer demands. See, rating agencies used to be paid by the investor, now they're being paid by the issuer of the bonds/stock. Slight conflict of interests, but a good example of how the free market actually works. Oh, and all three rate the US Federal Bonds for free, that's their only freebee. (Grokked from Tobias Buckell)

Tweet of my heart
@Kurt_Vonnegut: I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without any expectation of rewards or punishments after I'm dead.

No comments: