I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tool-Man Tim I ain't (but I do a good grunt)

It's a little hard to see in this picture (and I was too lazy to fetch one from last winter), but the cement pad tilts in toward the house. Not good.


This is the reason we're replacing the support posts first. One, wood into soil, not a good idea. Two, wood on/up against concrete even worse idea. (there will be metal between the new cement footers and the wood).


Holes are just caves on their side. I think I mentioned what a pain in the tuckas these things were. Should have been easy, but ended up costing me a whole lot (rental on auger that wasn't all that useful in the end and broke 1 shovel).


Cement tubes in place, level, and plumb. Ready for cement (which took until about 8:30pm, after dark.


Here are the cement tubes filled, the bolts in place, and covered for curing.


So this is what I'm dealing with now. How to redo the permanent supports. I need to either figure a way to get the post out between the two cross beams (that actually hold up the deck), or to replace it all (which will be a whole lot more work because of 8 nails)



Cement posts should be at full strength this weekend, so I need to figure it out and solve it by this Friday. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Dan Berlyoung said...

Get two of the metal plates you are going to use to mount the post to the concrete and then bolt them to each other. Use that as a connector between both posts.

Or maybe just for a 1" hole in the center of each and put a piece of galvanized pipe in to hold them centered and then galvanized plates from HomeDepot to keep them from shifting.

Or, just a whole bottle of Gorilla Glue?