I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Linkee-poo asks no questions and tells no lies

Jim Hines and Marie Brennan discuss ending book series.

Tobias Buckell tries kickstarter to do his next Caribbean Space Opera novel. I've never really considered giving to a kickstarter project, but he has me seriously thinking about it.

An open letter to graphic design students. While there's some neepery in there, I think it's good advice to any person engaged in a creative endeavor.

Vince has some more poetry published.

Catherine Shaffer asks if you've been bullied on the internet? My answer is, "Yes. Although I didn't let them get away with it." It's also, sadly, part of why I no longer comment in most of the political posts over on the Whatever. It isn't because I'm afraid of being bullied, it's because I don't have the time to fight them (reading the comments and keeping up with the conversations, who is whom, who might be a sock puppet, etc. - plus I was becoming a target and didn't want to drag John's blog down). I don't do well with bullies. I like hitting them back way too much for my own good (see Catherine's comment about the bullied becoming the bully).

In case you're wondering just what "onerous regulations that are stimying job creators from creating jobs" are, apparently tacking up a free-to-business poster on a bulletin board explaining worker's rights is one of them. Really? Yet another point in the "we don't want to pay you squat, give you benefits, and you should be damn glad we're giving you anything" argument. And conservatives complain that letting the Bush tax cuts expire is "class warfare." It's equalizing the playing field (also note that under the Bush administration the NLRB was decimated in budget and stacked with anti-union appointees, but still ended up siding with workers >80% of the time, note the same thing happened when in Ohio unions were forced to accept "binding arbitration" for contract resolutions - one of the reasons the GOP wants to just throw out any 3rd party appeal which means, welcome to more lawsuits).

It always amazes me that when speaking of "getting justice," most people just mean, "somebody needs to pay for my pain." This instead of, "we need to punish the person who did this." (Grokked from omgrey)

Tweet of my heart:
@TheTweetOfGod: Fall starts Friday. Thou hast (3) days for thy pride to goeth.

No comments: