I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Linkee-poo is missing Monday

And to balance the all political post of yesterday, have an all writing linkee-poo.

Jay Lake with some writing process links. Just in case you missed them.

Tobias Buckell follows up his pigeons and pellets post with a clarification on aspirations. I'm not sure where people got the idea Tobias was saying, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here," with his first one. All he was saying was "you have control over this, and not over that, correlation is not causation, no need to invent the writer's version of the SCSI Voodoo Dance."

Miranda Suri talks about starting from scratch (in regards to story writing). I've done the pansters thing. For the new work I'm doing more outlining than I've ever done before. I don't know why, I just "feel" that I need to for this one. And for me, typically the scene comes first. I see what is happening, and know there's a story behind there. Bladesman started with the scene that became the first chapter (and it still works, so I'm keeping it, although the first line is far away from what I originally wrote). Post-Rapture Industries also started that way. But it was much more complex. With Bladesman the whole background of the world, how it worked, who the character was and why he was doing what he was doing came in that first burst. With PRI, it's been a long struggle to figure out the story behind the scene.

No comments: