I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Linke-poo knows a woman with a collection of sticks

Re: the link yesterday about the Gaines Center withholding the video recorded of a debate between Jerry Coyne and John Haught on if science and religion are compatible, they've released the video. (Pointed to by Dan)

A new font to help dyslexics read better. Sometimes I love my profession. (Pointed to by Dan)

Goldline, guilty of hucksterism? Well, knock me over with a feather. (If you have gold as an investment, my guess is you're about to lose some of it's value… consult your financial planner, blah blah, yadda yadda).

A photo library from the Mexican Drug War (which is now an actual shooting war, unlike our "War on Drugs"). (Pointed to by Dan)

Okay, so can we all get that Herman Cain's campaign strategist smoked on the commercial so it would get free air time play, much more than they could have ever afforded? Can we stop showing the commercial now?

In this day and age of technology, the truth will out. The recovery of Dr. Livingstone's personal diary (yes, that Dr. Livingstone) from the time worn ravages of palimpsest and berry ink show insight into a massacre of slaves that even old Livingstone couldn't bare to write the truth about when he was alive. Reminds me of when I read reprints of the journals a Jesuit priests in colonial America. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

So, in the Wisconsin Legislature, you can carry concealed weapons in if you're on the floor, but not in the Galleries or Offices. I debated on how to go about this. I could call the members chicken in that they want the guns, but you all are screwed. I then thought I should go on the "if it's for defense, then the legislatures should know that a person up in the gallery would have a clearer shot." Then I thought about the "fear of a man in the tower with a gun." The "got mine, screw you, buddy" track. But in the end, I think I'm just going to go with "Lame."

I think I've said this before, the black economy is what greases the legit economy. Well, here's some fodder to think on if you doubt that. The "Shadow Economy" is now $10 trillion. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

"'Republicans favor tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations, but these had no stimulative effect during the George W. Bush administration, and there is no reason to believe that more of them will have any today,' writes Bruce Bartlett." Another one bites the dust. Oh, who am I kidding. They'll keep flogging that dead horse until it's a revenant. It's still better to speak truth to power. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

2 comments:

fabutronic sheila said...

The look of the "dyslexie" font is friendly and easy on the eyes. I hope they will be able to verify in larger study groups that it does indeed help.

If it does, I would be sure to use it on all business pubs (from business cards up to a company website) just to ensure that more people could read them easily.

Steve Buchheit said...

It does look good, unfortunately it's not a classic. And that's part of the selection equation.