There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The morning exercise



I was number 19 at my polling station. Although I was the 18th vote counted, and nobody else was left at the polling stations. I have a feeling the Ohio turn out will be big considering on the last off year election I didn't make it to the polls until 6:30pm and I was number 17.

A slightly bittersweet ballot as this is the first time in 9 years that my name wasn't on this ballot cycle. For those new readers, I've been a Village Councilman for all that time. My term is about to expire and that would normally put me in the position of getting my name on the ballot (typically I would need to gather 25 signatures on my petition for the elections board, not exactly a high hurdle to cross). But this year only one seat is open. We're changing our form of government to include a Village Manager/Administrator, eliminating the position of Mayor, the Board of Public Affairs (our Water and Sewer Board, that's 3 seats), and two council positions (going from 7 to 5). Because of the timing of the new Charter this election we go from 3 seats to 1. I wasn't the highest vote getter, and on my cycle was the person who always received the highest vote totals of any councilman. He was running again. So I took the opportunity to get out.

Today was the first time that decision felt a little strange.

But I want my life back. I want my brain back. And I really don't want to have to care about a lot of people's insecurities and paranoias. I also am tired of the struggle against people who don't think the law should apply to them. So as of January 1, I'll be free. Like I said, it's bittersweet at the moment. I accomplished most of what I set out to do. And I feel I've given good service to the people of the Village. And frankly, my only real motivation to run again was the $400 a month, which isn't enough and isn't a good enough reason to give another 4 years of my life. I've done my bit for King and Country. In fact, I've done it twice.

3 comments:

Phiala said...

Oddly, I was also the 19th ballot and the 18th voter. I wonder where the other one went.

Steve Buchheit said...

Sarah, I think it's because of provisional balloting.

Alia parker said...

nice