I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Linkee-poo dances in the rain from a shattered comet

Jim Hines on writing about rape. What he says. Although, in the current novel there is a rape, but it happens off-camera, is not committed against a main character, and is implied the main evil bady-guy did it. However, it is part of the story and makes sense in context. The victim acts like a victim of abuse. Our hero isn't there to rescue her, but does because that's how he's put together. He doesn't however, carry her from the building and form some sort of bond with her. He views her as another victim of what the bad guys are doing (and then he kills the bad guy). I did take that part out, but then the scene felt incomplete. So I put it back in.

Mur Lafferty talks about her big-D depression. I don't think I've talked about it more than once or twice this year, so some of the new people don't know. While I don't have a "diagnosis" of depression, I do suffer from the big-D (it's just not on any medical chart - but I take Wellbutrin, which always leads to the question). I finished my novel while taking my meds. I was afraid they might take my writing away, but the prospect of falling into another 3-4 years of big-D was to much of a scary thing. I like not being depressed. I like myself when I'm not depressed. Sure, I still have some bad habits (denigrating myself when something goes wrong, or feeling guilt or shame for something done 10+ years ago). But I laugh, I can smile, and, to quote Monty Python, "I feel happy." If you also suffer from big-D (and I didn't think I was until near the end of that bout) don't be afraid to get help from professionals. My doctor listened to me and immediately said, "We can help." I was lucky and hit it out of the park on the first try, if the first path doesn't work, there are plenty more. To quote Mur, "You are not alone."

More proof the world is weirder than you think. Including the discovery of the first hybrid shark (viable offspring of two related species) in the wild. (Grokked from Jay Lake and Jeff Beeler)

There was a comment in the blathering news the other day about "liberals (being) 'angry' at (Ron) Paul for forcing them to confront their hypocrisy and therefore obsess over his 'character defects'." But I think what Eric has to say later, including his quotes from other on their idiocy, is much more to the point. And it brings words to something I was intuiting lately. There is a fundamental schism in the mindset of the populace on what role government should play. Eric pretty well lays out the liberal view.

Tobias Buckell gets optioned (and helps write the script) adapting a short story of his. Congrats, Tobias.

Freeze-dried whackaloon, Rep. Steven King (R-IA) admits all this brinksmanship has just been a negotiation strategy. Yep, that's the new politics for you. No principals, no "promoting the general welfare", just willing to fuckup the country just so they can keep tax-breaks for the rich. I said it back in August, I think it's time the dems just walked away from the table. Make a big play in the press about the GOP "intransigence" and let them shut the government down. This, in the game of chicken, is known as "committing." (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Oh, no, our frenzied work around immigration and all those new "tougher" laws couldn't harm anyone who isn't guilty. Surely they wouldn't deport a teenager who gave a false name so the police wouldn't return her home after running away. Nah, that couldn't happen. (Grokked from Tobias Buckell)

No comments: