I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Pumpkin Hour

I was hoping to get more wordage out than 7500 (10% of base goal for novel). I spent too much time distracting myself. Really need to break those habits to get back to writing as a distraction from the other stuff. But 7500 is about 2500 a day, which isn't shabby; although not close to the 10,000 words I thought I could do (and have done before).

One reason could be that I quickly ran through what plot points I had for the first act of the novel. I'm not into areas of "something happens here and they end up over there." I know where I need to get, but not much of a clue how to get there. The next Act will be even worse, that's the point the characters fall in love without realizing it (the main character does just at the end of the Act, the other character is so deep into their own pain/failing/crashing that they don't notice what's going on (so their part of the not knowing is pretty well set).

Also, on the plus side, I think I've identified some music to listen to while writing this novel. Some of you may remember that I obsessively listened to the Ocean Movie Soundtracks while pounding out Bladesman. That was a good fit for that pace and writing. I've been working through some other options while getting these words out. In the back of my head I kept thinking of a certain group I had heard long ago. So tonight, through the wonder of YouTube, I was able to figure out that their beats helped the words flow a little better. I'm not totally convinced, and I'll really need to do a custom playlist (as there are a few others I have that worked pretty well). There's also some research to see if I can find a certain style and flavor of guitar music that worked well.

Since I can't possibly wet your whistle that much without giving a taste, here is one of their songs I really like (it's a long one, just so you know)


And now, being the pumpkin hour, it's time for bed before I become one.

No comments: