I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Creative salaries for creatives

For that other part of my life, the writing fiction part, there's been a lot of people who have been open with various figures on their earnings, advances, etc. Which I have to say is totally fabulous and for any aspiring writer one should find those to have a big dose of reality. And I thank all those who have done that sharing (Tobias Buckell, Jim Hines, and John Scalzi leap immediately to mind)

For the day thing, fortunately we have a few organizations who started publishing salary and compensation data about a decade ago. This was a way for us to judge just how well we were being compensated (the design field had been notorious for under payment and wage theft, although I think we've hammered through most of that now). So here is one of those for the current year (please note, they're lumping a lot of regions and job responsibilities together for these numbers - one of the other reports typically runs about 30-40 pages- but I am slightly sad to see I'm on the lower end of my range - possible combination of smaller market, depressed conditions, and working "in house").

Design Salaries
Find design jobs and careers at HOW Design.

In case you're wondering about your own field, Indeed.com has a nice little salary tool you can use to enter the position title and your location to see how you compare (note, I don't know what data Indeed is using for their tool, but that's just because I haven't taken the time to research it).

No comments: