I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Linkee-poo's gotta little woman and she won't be true

Running doing errands before next week, so not a lot of time today, sorry.

The problem with men explaining things, which goes beyond the mansplaining thing. (Grokked from Cherie Priest)

The student loan crisis. (Grokked from Tobias Buckell) Of which I only avoided because of Bette's fiscal prowess. DOn't think this is too much of a problem? Some people are having their Social Security check garnished to pay for their loans (some are for their children or grandchildren). I'm of the first generation that couldn't discharge their loans through bankruptcy, so that was never an option for me (and fortunately, except for those first few years I wasn't in the position to be able to file for bankruptcy). This is why I like President Obama's new payment options on loans. That is, after a certain point in life, the remaining part of the loan is forgiven. I know people like to talk about the looming crisis with SocSec and Medicare, but the demise of student aid and the rise of the loan burden is about to saddle our economy with an even worse problem.

The Fankenstein computer virus platform. I think the concept is kinda interesting, but if I had to make a real guess… well, there's a lot of things. Mostly I would think that it would be easier to write a tightly coded and targeted virus to make the specific attacks you want. It would be handy in mapping out networks, which might encounter platforms/environments that are dissimilar enough that one worm wouldn't be able to exploit all the routes. (pointed to by John)

Why you should hire professionals for somethings. Problem is, Ms. Gimenez may have damaged the under structure of the fresco, which would make a full restoration impossible. Somewhere, Terry Gilliam is saying, "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like."

"Do you know how people as dumb as Judge Tom Pinhead here get into elected office?… Sometimes more stupid people than smart people vote in certain parts of the country and that would explain why Tom Head is a judge." You know that conversation about how both sides of the political spectrum have their nut jobs, and the on going meme that for progressives their on the fringes, but conservatives elect them to office. I don't know what number we're up to, but here's another example. (Grokked from Matt Staggs)

Fred Clark has a whole list of links about the class war that is going on.

Alligator Quotient: They were waiting in ambush.

No comments: