I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, October 1, 2012

Linkee-poo can tell you're no stranger to the street

It's time of year. It's National Banned Books Week. Piss off a conservative, read a good book.

The NYT's Magazine Inspiration Issue. In case you were looking for some. (Grokked from ticia42)

So, the next time someone comes across your work place and starts with the tired, "a disorganized desk is the sign of a disorganized mind", tell them to bugger off. That's a picture of Einstein's desk the day he died. So much for neat. And for the kids out there used to the Big Band Theory, that thing on the wall behind the desk is what we used to use before erasable white boards. It's a chalk board.

John Scalzi talks about that point in the writing process. Every writer has that point. For Neil Gaiman it's the point where everything sucks and why oh why is he even considering himself a writer because it all sucks. Every writer has that point where the writer brain kicks in and says, "I'm bored, next!" I know when I hit that point, it's like John's. I've told myself the story, now I want something new. It's like the beginning of the Sherlock episode "The Hounds of Baskerville."

Meet a Romney extremist. Just in case you think this is fictional, understand I work with a number of people who believe exactly as this guy does. Because I hear it, unbidden, at work. Before at least once every month. The only reason I haven't heard these things spoken around my cubicle twice in the past week is that the office was very empty this past week. (Grokked from Jim Wright)

I've often had the conversation about "What Good Is Twitter." I normally say it depends on the people you follow and who follow you. Now I can point to definitive proof of why Twitter is important. Also, not everybody tweets about buying shoes.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

I keep seeing a commercial for "Two Broke Girls" in which one of them says, "Twitter is stupid and Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

(I don't really hate Twitter, but I think that's kinda funny.)

Steve Buchheit said...

Well, it's all how you look at it. I often can enjoy things or support them, but also like the jokes cracked at their expense. Politicians for instance…