I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, October 15, 2012

Today the Universe…

has been giving and taking. More on the taking side. I can't really explain the incredible frustration of the day job gyrations. The alligator quotient was higher than Fearless Felix's leap. And no matter how many times I slew them, they just kept on coming like some crocodilian zombie apocalypse. (Yes, it's still on going.)

And then there were two other moments. The first was a clear understanding of the motives of a character in one of the WIPs (Return of Lars) that I had been struggling with. I did have a motivation for them, but it was kind of a dickish motivation. This one is much better. There's at least 3 twists and several reveals that can happen with it. And one is a major turn which, if I handle it right, would be one of those "Holy crap, I need to rethink this whole story" moments for the reader when it's revealed. So, yeah, thanks.

The other moment concerns the main WIP (Post-Rapture Industries). Since I haven't had the time to actually, you know, write the words down I've been overthinking the themes and what I really want to accomplish. It started out mostly as a way to poke fun at the pre-millenialists, but there's only so far that can take you. I've come to several conclusions about just what the theme really is. I mean, sure, it's a "true love" story. It's about finding home. Lately I've been thinking of the eschatological meaning of what is going on. There's a lot of bits that have been falling from the muse, and I've been wondering what all it means. Well, this song (Grokked from Terri Windling) sums up the message quite well and fits very close to my own internal beliefs. Sometimes the muse has someone else's voice.


The great thing about Scrivener is I can copy all these things into it, and not be worried about where they go or how they fit together. I can jumble them in and organize it later.

So, thanks again, Universe. Next time could we do it without all the alligators? You know, just for a change.

No comments: