I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Linkee-poo, there has to be a morning after

"For much of the campaign, the story emanating from conservative commentators was one of mistrust. It was not only the polls that were untrustworthy. Those Labor Department numbers that showed a rosier economic picture in the final weeks of the election? The books were cooked by pro-Obama stooges, conservatives charged." Fortunately last night I wasn't watching any news coverage and my internet connection was hosed up. So I didn't have to deal with the full on craziness for too long. For me, I did wake up at a little after midnight and turned on NPR to hear them call it for the President. When I woke up a little after 1, I turned it back on to make sure I hadn't been dreaming only to hear the President's victory speech. So I didn't get to see Mr. Rove's freakout over "The Math" (hint to Karl, you're doing it wrong).

Now it just remains to be seen what lessons the GOP learns. I'm not laying bets, but if I were, I would place most of my money on the "we didn't believe hard enough and those bums cast illegal ballots and stole the election." In which case we get Rick Santorum as the GOP nominee in 2016 (and since I'm laying bets, Marco Rubio for VP, Jeb Bush might be a nice choice, but he won't be second fiddle and since he didn't dance this last primary, at best he'll win Iowa but fade after Super Tuesday). Yeah, that would be my "cover all loses" bet with a high degree of uncertainty (at this time). I mean, the other lesson, the one they should have been learning since 2006 and stubbornly refuse to acknowledge, would require them to actually, you know, reform the whole party but in the opposite direction the Tea Party is taking them. And that won't happen. They wouldn't be willing to accept the blood loss or even the chance the SuperPACs would turn and bite them. So I fully expect the "clap harder" solution to surface as the victor sometime around January 2 or 3, right after we avoid the fiscal cliff (which both sides know will require compromise). If it happens sooner, over the cliff we'll go.

John Scalzi is wise about the election. As he often is.

New Age whackaloons vandalize the Serpent Mound. Proof that teh crazy isn't only for the right wing. No, guys, the tin foil doesn't go in the orgonites, you need it for your hats. Also, if you haven't seen the Serpent Mound, if it's an easy drive I highly recommend it. When you view it, keep in mind that in it's hey day, it was even taller. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Something you'll be hearing about soon, Optical Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing. Or, how to make your fiber optic internet connection go really, really, REALLY fast using off the shelf parts. Oh, and it reduces the electrical load needed as well. The word you're looking for is "Bwa?!" (Pointed to by Dan)

Tweet of my heart: @xeni: Way our medical system works, though: cut/burn/poison the cancer out. Hope no recurrence. Then, dear patient, figure the rest out yourself.

No comments: