I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, January 18, 2013

Linkee-poo was in the darkest depths of Mordor and met a girl so fair

A quick linkee-poo because I'm still under the gun, and I really want to get to Confusion. Weekend updates may not happen depending on wifi availability.

Justine Larbalestier writes about how she needs the characters before they can start writing. In the little time I've had lately to write I've been thinking about my own process. For me, once I know the whole story it's difficult for me to gather enthusiasm for writing the story. That's what I think has been a major problem for me. But I also need a character to be there to start the story.

Jim Hines has really made the grade. Sure, you may think, but do you know anybody else who has made the cover of the Rolling Stone, I mean BBC? (Grokked from Phiala)

Elizabeth shares some more iPad apps she uses while writing.

Twenty-five real places that look surreal. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

The oldest known piece of written music. With audio track. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

A little on the full history of the writing of the Second Amendment. Turns out those well regulated militias were actually already in service in Southern states to keep any slave uprisings down. And the language was changed to make sure the Southerners who were afraid of the federal government over running their precious culture and tradition could understand that the feds wouldn't do that. (Grokked from Tobias Buckell)

Witness the rise of cheap robot labor. For less than $50k that makes a robot a viable alternative for many factories. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Tweet of my heart: @karlfisch: MT @xor: 29 yrs ago today, the Supreme Ct ruled Betamax legal. As the studios predicted it crushed the American film industry forever.

No comments: