I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Weekend Linkee-poo like the seasons, the wind, the sun or the rain doesn't fear the Reaper

When in doubt, shoot the protagonist and other oblique strategies for writers.

A lot of writing links here. I haven't had a chance to read them all, but maybe you can find information you need.

Six easy tips for self-editing your stories.

When it comes to grammar, lighten up, Francis. (Grokked from Dr. Doyle)

David B Coe with some good advice on attending big conventions.

The eight things Star Wars can teach us about writing. It's not what you may think. (Grokked from Vince)

Building a light bridge to the stars, wherein Geoffrey Landis is name dropped. As with most things, when Geoff starts talking about some technology I'm quickly out of my depth, but I could get enough that this is a pretty cool idea (and now I know why he knew so much about solar sails right off the top of his head when I asked him about them).

A lightning farm to help purify ground water and soils. Pointed to because 1) kewl! and 2) slightly related to a short story I wrote, A History of Lightning. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Remember the astronaut that has water in his helmet? Now you can read the story from his perspective.

The ten quotes losing holdem players say. I know just enough about poker to understand what he's talking about here. Learning Texas Holdem has always been one of those things I've wanted to do (note, I know how to play, but getting into the strategy that he talks about is a level above, from what I hear there's a manual written in the early 20th century that is a must read). (Grokked from Steven Brust)

"'Solar is growing so fast it is going to overtake everything,' (Jon Wellinghoff, chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) said." Actually I've always wanted to set up a 2 kW wind turbine, solar would require me to clear too many trees, or place it too far from the house. (Grokked from Morgan J Locke)

The wisdom of the dying. As the story went when I was young, no one goes to their death bed wishing they had spent more time working. Carpe Diem and don't be a dick about it. Of course, until you're reminded of the eventual destination, sometimes you miss n the forest for the individual trees.

Sic semper VW Microbus. Frankly many kids dream about driving Vetts or a Lamborghini, for me it's always been an original VW Beatle Convertible. (Grokked from Vince)

If we can change the way we think of disease and death we can be more happy. "Disease and death are not shameful." That. (Grokked from Jay Lake)

Fred Clark with a little on how I read Revelations. Which is why dispensationalism seems so incredibly strange to me.

Jim Wright answers his email. 'Nough said.

Tweet of my heart: @josswhedon If you see a play about a reunion and someone says they're in AA you will NEVER GUESS what that person is going to do later in the play.

No comments: