I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The things that remind me

Going through some of my reading list and Terri Windling's usually magnificent "Tunes for a Monday Morning" posts I hit this. I now have the opening pull quote for Act III (the Orpheus in the Underworld part) of the WIP. And let me say, I love Rufus' voice, always have.

There are things in our lives that we've known and martyred to the necessity of living. Dust strewn, dimly lit figures flutter though our consciousness, and then we are by chance reminded of our former selves and all that revelatory light burns through our cobweb shroud.


Most people like to quote the first part of Sonnet 29, but I love the end.
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

To put in the modern vulgar parlance… all I need is you, babe, and the rest of the world can go fuck itself.

I may have to sing this to Bette tonight. Or at least recite it.

No comments: