I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, May 16, 2014

Linkee-poo is going to see the river man, and tell him all about the plan

You may have remembered me claiming the universe has it out for my free time. Here's another example. This week is my one week off between Spring and Summer semesters. So how have I been spending my evenings where I should be cleaning up and getting rested up for summer? On the newsletter masthead project that would not die. I've worked every night this week on it. So when I say the universe has it out for me, this is what I'm talking about. No rest for the Steve.

Chuck Wendig has some things to say to young writers. Points to this, especially the section about the world lying to you about being an artist. See also his post on "so you say you want to be a full time writer. Note the life stories in there.

When people discuss Mad Men, since I'm not able to watch that, I alway get the vision of David Ogilvy in my head. Who was David Ogilvy? This might help. He wasn't required reading, but he was expected reading.

In case you ever wonder what I mean when I say I'm old school and distrust network based solutions (like "everything in the Cloud"), earlier this week Adobe Creative Cloud when down. (Grokked from Dan)

Idiots. Seriously, testing a bullet-proof vest by putting it on and inviting people to shoot at you? Oh, Darwin Awards, I think I have a candidate for you.

"Operation American Spring – Beginning Of Tyranny Housecleaning" While they say it's about "peaceful" revolution, but it sounds an awfully lot like an attempted conservative coup d'etat. So, let's see if they get any more people than came to the last one. And, again, I put out my call, just how have they subverted the Constitution? I really want to know.

A new healthcare rule that makes the whole thing go wonky. It's called "reference pricing" and you'll want to know about it because it sounds like a great idea, until you get to the details. Now, what remains to be seen is if this does help control costs, or if it just shifts those costs back to the consumer. I've said it before, if we want to do this as "the consumer has the power" then we need to start opening up pricing to make it more transparent. So, for now, just a hint, learn the pre-cert rules for your plan and use them. Also, I wonder when people will remember that when an insurance company in a PPO adds a facility to their approved, in-network, they've already negotiated pricing with that facility?

Tweet of my heart: @mushenska This year I sold a debut by someone in their late 60s so when people are all 'agents only ever want young authors!' I get pretty annoyed.

No comments: