I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Linkee-poo is the blue canary in the outlet by your light switch who watches over you

Man, am I behind in my reading. Will try to catch up as I sort out 2 years of life on hold. I have about 5 phone calls to make today. How many have I made so far (past noon)? Why that would be zero.

Steven Brust on fixing that one scene.

Sentient trees in fantasy literature. Because. (Grokked from Kameron Hurley)

How to identify and avoid psychic vampires. (Grokked from Emma Audsley)

Probably apocryphal, but a NY restaurant reviews security tape from ten years ago and today to find out why service takes so long. It's not the service. (Grokked from Ferrett Steinmetz)

The executive coloring book from 1961. With only a few slight modifications, I think I've work there. More than once. (Grokked from Matt Staggs)

The only moral abortion is my abortion. The cognitive dissonance needed here is of stupendous proportions. Reminds me of the patient on Medicare (which they loved and felt was their right and due) who wanted to lecture me on the evils of government controlled medicine in Obamacare (that I should avoid it at all costs). (Grokked from the Slactivist)

You should all know by now that I have a lot of friends that I respect and admire. Jim Wright is one of those. I'm pretty sure I linked to this before, but just in case I haven't, it's time to do so. Jim wrote and great article (I think I linked to it, I often do), and then some people decided they were going to just rip it off. When I make these links, I sometimes quote extensively from articles. Sometimes it's to let you know what you're in for, sometimes it's to say "this is what I thought was important", and sometimes it's because I love the words. But what I won't do is post the whole article. I'll try not to go beyond a few lines. This is covered under Fair Use. What Mike Malloy did to Jim wasn't. There are several reasons for this. One, Malloy rebroadcast almost the entirety of Jim's article. First transgression. Two, he didn't get permission. And three, when called on it, didn't demonstrate the basic knowledge of the industry he's engaged in. If Malloy doesn't have a lawyer, he really should. Because any lawyer worth their salt would have told Malloy he should get permission before reading Jim's article. They may have advised how to get around it, but the first words should have been, "Just contact him and get his okay." Jim gives his response to this thievery here. And, yes, it's a theft, one Malloy didn't think anyone would call him on. And he tried his best to bluster (it's what his type typically do in these circumstances). Mr. Malloy, Jim isn't a soldier in your army. While your political ideology may in this instance have aligned, that's no excuse for theft. Ask your lawyer how you should approach this. If they don't tell you, "Start with a heart-felt apology," you might want to avail yourself of better legal council.

Prayer isn't a game of "What's My Line."

Time to update the saying "Don't take candy from strangers" to include taking candy from the KKK. It's a kinder, softer Klan full of intolerance. (Grokked from John)

"Dinesh D'Souza, conservative author and filmmaker, on Thursday argued that while progressives seem to attack the wealthiest one percent of Americans, really they are attacking poor immigrants." Whoa, slow down there Hoss. You're likely to give yourself whiplash doing that.

Hey, anybody you know talking about how the Y2K think was all a bunch of nonsense and was all a part of (insert favorite conspiracy target here)? We're still dealing with the problems. In this case, a Penn state department forgets to include the century of birth in some records sent to the Selective Service which then doesn't question it and so sends out warning letters to centenarians that they better sign up or else.

No comments: