I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Linkee-poo heard you on the wireless back in '52

Welp, here's something that we didn't know about climate change. "Archaeologists note that Arica is extremely dry… but the humidity levels in the region have recently risen. The higher humidity means microbes are breaking down the Chinchorro mummies, essentially turning them to goo." (Grokked from Matt Stages)

"Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif wasn't moved by the letter (signed by 47 GOP Senators)… (and) lashed back at Cotton and his allies, pointing out technical errors in their description of how the U.S. Constitution works." You know, it's sad that these senators sent a letter sent to a foreign minister that includes the phrase, "you may not fully understand our constitutional system" only to be schooled by that foreign minister on the said Constitution. Seriously, dudes, you're an embarrassment to everybody. Also, you may be in violation of the Logan Act. But then, I know you all don't know about that, what with the actions of President Nixon and President Reagan.

As a demonstration that idiocy isn't owned by one political party, "At a New Mexico House Judiciary Committee hearing last week state Rep. Ken Martinez (D) said 'rape is defined in many ways and some of it is just drunken college sex.'" No. No it's not. I've had drunken college sex, still made sure we were all on the same page we were before the drunken part (have also said "nope" because consent wasn't there before the drunken part). Dear Rep. Martinez, I'm sure in your mind you think you said the right thing, in that case, though, you should apologize that you didn't make your comment properly and may have confused people on your stance. And then you correct the record. You don't "stand behind what you said" and try to critizie others for not hearing any qualifying remarks.

"On Tuesday, a book and a separate study are being released — both turning up evidence that the one-generation leap is getting harder to accomplish in an economy so tied to education, technological know-how and networking." And, in other news, water is surprisingly wet. The reports tear down some long cherished axioms and thoughts of America, while promoting some other destructive concepts. So it's more of a lose-lose proposition. Some of my longer time readers will note I've described myself as having "clawed" my way up from working-poor. I'm not being dramatic. And if you ask me what really haunts me in the dark midnight of dreams, it's the fear I'll lose what little I've gained.

A few years ago I sat in a panel discussing the use of psychedelics as pharmacologicals (LSD as the new aspirin, sorta). I was there and took the "con" side of the table. One of my arguments was that psychedelic use could led to increases in psychosis. My bad. "Data from population surveys in the United States challenge public fears that psychedelic drugs such as LSD can lead to psychosis and other mental-health conditions and to increased risk of suicide, two studies have found." To my credit, I did make other arguments. (Grokked from Cat Rambo)

Everybody does it is NOT a defense against racism. Can we just agree to that? Or do we need to buy everyone a copy of that Bruce Hornsby song?

No comments: