I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Linkee-poo is the hairy-handed gent who ran amuck in Kent

Everything that's wrong with your story, given sight unseen. For me, it's number 4 that keeps getting in the way. (Grokked from CC Findlay)

Why inclusion in literature is a Good Idea™, Curious George learns how American-Muslims celebrate Ramadan.

So, how do you know if your writing is any good? Lots of very good information in that response. (Grokked from Justine Larbalestier)

The Bloggess with a great metaphor for depression. I don't think I've been that deep into big D, but I've felt those edges. Sometimes I get fixated on things that I must finish before I can do anything else even if those other things aren't dependent on the thing I'm fixated on.

"Aamodt is a neuroscientist, book author and former editor of a leading brain research journal. She also has become a prominent evangelist of the message that traditional diets just don't work and often leave the dieter worse off than before." Bringing back the concept of set points (something I've experienced in my own quest to lose weight). "Her best recommendation: Stop focusing on weight and start concentrating on regular exercise, good food choices and stress reduction instead." I'm not sure if I said it here, but on my cruise I lost 12 lbs, and it wasn't a "weight-loss" cruise. But I didn't have the stress of the day thing.

"Growing up, sports commentator Kevin Blackistone idolized Muhammad Ali. With Ali's death last week, he wonders why the man he sees in the obituaries is so different than the Ali he remembers." The other whitewashing, taking troublesome minorities who are pilloried while alive and speaking up, suddenly become acceptable in death or inability to communicate. Muhammad Ali isn't the only one. While we venerate Martin Luther King, Jr, during his life he was considered an amazing troublemaker whose "peaceful protests" were always called into question by the establishment as a good facade to hide militant aspirations. Cesar Chavez, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Leonard Peltier, Malcolm X, Harriet Tubman, Susan B Anthony, Margaret Sanger, Harvey Milk, Frederick Douglass, Sojourner Truth and thousands more. Some of this is society coming to terms with their "radical-at-the-time" ideas and seeing history's long arc bend toward justice. But a lot of it is the sanitizing nature of time and memory and the WASP culture taking what is dangerous and neutering it to make it palatable and acceptable.

The BLM and using river-beds at property boundaries. The major question is if the BLM is fighting to redefine where the border between Texas and Oklahoma to win (and thereby give more land to the Federal Government or actually to some Reservations), or fighting it to lose (to say they tried to do "what is right", but what can you do)?

What rape culture? Seriously, Worcester Polytechnic, you are in charge of your lawyers. Maybe not blaming the victim might be a good idea.

And because we're talking about it, the Stanford rape case sentencing story all the other people are talking about. (Grokked from just about everybody)

So, how did the only Trump endorsed candidate (so far) do yesterday? Whelp, that's not good. Don't worry, I'm sure Trump will forget all about his endorsement. Look! Squirrel! To be far, Rep. Ellmers didn't have a chance with her redrawn district and a record of actually doing work (not to mention her regrets on her attack ad in the previous elections). And I see Clay Aiken, whom she defeated, is taking it well. Stay classy, Clay.

"The Associated Press advised its journalists on Tuesday to 'practice situational awareness' around its bureaus amid sharp backlash over the news organization’s naming Hillary Clinton as the Democratic Party’s presumptive nominee." I'm developing a false-flag theory about "Bernie Supporters" and some of the more violent protests at Trump events. It's beginning to feel like a smear campaign designed to suppress voting (through intimidation and "I'm just tired of it all" exhaustion). But maybe I'm misjudging what is being shown in the media.

Tweet of my heart: @acaseforbooks Harry Potter taught me there will always be old guys telling young guys they're special, but it's girls with frizzy hair that get shit done.

No comments: