I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, December 12, 2016

Linkee-poo, and the morn, along the fallow field does silver shine

Been a busy morning at the day thing, so not much.

"The third strand in the braid is that no one is entitled to another person’s energy, attention, or joy3. Not random sea lions on the internet, nor politicians, pundits and priests. My term for people who demand my energy without my consent is spoon bandits; I’m as fond of them as I am of any brigand or pickpocket. There are people whose requests for my attention I will entertain; there are also requests that are entertaining enough that I’ll listen on those merits alone. But my energy is mine." Abi Sutherland on Making Light with good words for the coming four years. It is something I keep relearning. For the fight ahead, we do need to take care of ourselves. Also, Abi introduced me to a term for a tactic the right has used since 1994 and I didn't know had a term. Gish Gallop. Or, as I used to think of it, slinging enough shit that the opposition can't counter it all.

"In general, traditional news organizations are more reliable because their business model is to paint the clearest picture of the world that they can manage. But in the post-trust era we know that any news source can steer you wrong at times, and they're likely all jumbled together in your news feed anyway." With some rules on how to proceed in our "post-truth" future. Or as I was taught, it's not enough to question the answers, you need to question the questions.

No comments: