I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, August 18, 2017

Linkee-poo, don't trust your soul to no back woods Southern lawyer

In case you want to get all woo-woo-y on Monday, capturing the "magic" of the eclipse. I should mention that while I'm not fully versed in Wicca and I understand that an eclipse is a special moment, I'm not entirely certain it has an energy, though. In fact, I think it's special because of the specific lack of energy being given. Sure, it's a major calendar event. We cross a barrier. But the full moon has energy (as exampled in their Full Moon Water gathering). I don't see the eclipse as giving energy that could be captured that way. If you know how I'm wrong here, please comment (or send me an email). I'd really be interested in knowing.

"For doctors, public emergencies bring to mind ethical duties and dilemmas that never go away. Current events compel us to examine our core beliefs and do a gut-check of our own ethical standards and sense of professionalism." It's not just doctors, doc. Most of the rest of us spend way more time with the patients than the doctors do. I've also had an internal dialog with myself about this. What if there were a rally near the hospital I work at and things went pear-shaped. Could I work on someone bearing Nazi/Klan symbols? I had some minor run ins with this last year when several patients came in (not at the same time) in Trump gear. First I was kinda shocked as the ER really isn't a place for such a display. But I did treat the patients. I had one patient a while back who injured himself because he was on a 3 day bender because of the celebration around Jackie Robinson. Yes, he told us without being asked. I joke about that time doing a pantomime of taking a portable chest x-ray and saying, "Okay, this is going to burn a little, take in a deep breath, click!" Jokes all around. But here's the thing, with the patients (all of the above), I did the exams as professionally as I could. I don't think it was much different than any of the other exams I've done. So I think I would be able to deal with it. However, I reserve the right to not offer to get a warm blanket in case they're cold (it is, after all, outside my scope of practice to do so).

"A man who appeared in a Vice News story this week where he advocated for violence -- particularly against non-white people -- now says he fears for his life." Ya know, I don't have a lot of sympathy. "'I think (Heyer's death) was more than justified," Cantwell said. 'The amount of restraint our people showed out there, I think it was astounding.'" In fact, I have less than zero.

And, he's right to be scared of arrest. "Officials from the Virginia Commonwealth Attorney’s Office said Thursday that Cantwell is wanted for illegal use of gases, and injury by caustic agent or explosive. Both are felony charges, officials said."

And to top it all off, apparently OK Cupid doesn't want Cantwell on their site (which he was).

"But now the neo-Nazi from New Hampshire is fighting against claims of cowardice." Because, you know, crying means you aren't a man. Or something. Cantrell, the racist gift that keeps on giving. (Grokked from Jim Wright)

"The statue of former Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger B. Taney, who wrote the majority opinion in the infamous Dred Scott case, was removed from the grounds of the Maryland state capitol, the Baltimore Sun reported… The statue will be moved to a secure Maryland State Archives storage facility…" Where, we presume, it will be studied by Top Men.

"When the states' perceptions of discrimination are lined up against states' votes for Trump in 2016, it shows a clear negative correlation — places where there was bigger perception of discrimination had a lower likelihood of voting for Trump. Reliably liberal California and reliably conservative Wyoming reside at opposite ends of the spectrum." I'm sorry, I don't see where they've correlated "economic anxiety" in that chart. I don't see it anywhere in the data. It's like that really wasn't the issue at all and was just a red herring thrown out by a few writers and echoed by the rest of the media.

"'Whether he intended to or not, what he communicated caused racists to rejoice, minorities to weep, and the vast heart of America to mourn,' (Mitt) Romney wrote in a post on Facebook this morning." Must be time for another bus (to throw Romney under). (Grokked from John)

I am Sparticus! "Upward of 100 people showed up to support the suspects (who toppled a Confederate monument Monday in Durham, N.C.), filling the building to such an extent the fire marshal 'determined the crowd posed a security risk,'… But the demonstrators did not settle simply at the courthouse. Dozens of them marched on the Durham County Detention Facility, hoping to turn themselves in for the very same crimes in solidarity with those arrested…"

No comments: