I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Random Thoughts

You know when a parent or some other adult figure told you to wear clean underwear just in case you had to go to the hospital and you thought they were full of crap? Yeah, not so much. And really, if you're wearing underwear you're ahead of the game. But make sure it's clean and not ratty or three days old.

And while we're at it, care for your feet and toe nails. Just saying.

I've been seeing the phrase, "We give the customer/consumer exactly what they want," a lot lately. Mostly this comes up in the context of a reporter asking, "Why are you selling crap to people?" That same excuse has been used by drug dealers and pushers of all stripes since forever.

Now that we're in the sequester, I wonder if the pain will be significant enough for John Boehner to get past his own caucus and get the Legislature working again? Probably not. And everyone talks about how "these cuts should be done 'smartly', and instead of cutting all the stuff that affects everybody, we should cut the waste and fraud part of the government's budget." Well, here's the thing. There is very little fraud and waste anymore. When someone says "waste" anymore they really mean "those things I don't support." That is to a certain segment the Dept. of Education or the EPA is "waste." Is there some "waste" in government? Yes, there is, but to correct for that waste you need to hire inspectors and auditors to cut it. Or, in other words, you need to spend more to cut more. Same thing with fraud.

I haven't talked about the reboot lately. It's not going well. Not from the GPA or learning side, but from the juggling a full time job, freelance, losing weight, and school perspective. This is hurting a lot more than I expected. If I were 10 years younger or 100 lbs lighter (but mostly the age), this probably wouldn't be so much of an issue. I hate quitting. And if I don't do this, I need to develop another strategy. I don't know. Maybe this is my "quit the day job to write" moment and I should take the time I'm putting into classes and apply that to the writing. I think I need to talk to a few people before I make a final decision.

2 comments:

Random Michelle K said...

But make sure it's clean and not ratty

Don't women get a pass when we're wearing our period underwear? Because, who wants to ruin a pair of nice undies?

Steve Buchheit said...

Random Michelle K, sure. I can understand that.