I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, June 26, 2006

Leg Cramps

I’m about halfway through “War Stories” editing like a maniac. I got started on a new way of editing, for me at least. I’m going from back to front, paragraph by paragraph making each as good and as tight as I can. I’m adding some details, deleting others, cutting redundancies, etc. Was low as 7350 words, now back to around 7410. I want to get this done this week to send out to the Writers of the Future.

Speaking of WotF, just received “The Wild Hunt” back. I’ll update the in-submission list sometime next week, I’ll be sending out a lot this weekend. “The Wild Hunt” is my second story to make the Quarter Finalist list for WotF. Close, but no cigar, yet. I don’t know if “War Stories” will be the one to get me through to a moneyed finish, but I want to get it out.

Back to the grind. I have my writers’ group this Tuesday, and work is still going gangbusters. I could have worked another 12 hours today, but only made it as far as 10.5. Tomorrow could also be a long one if I didn’t have the meeting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw your post on TB's website and thought I'd drop by. I too am a two-time WOTF Quarter-Finalist. I haven't gotten my story for last quarter back yet. Fingers crossed. I have a whopping 200 words down for this quarter's story. Tonight will be a pavement pounder.

Anyway, you've got good company out there. Have a great day!

Steve Buchheit said...

Hey Scott. Cool. Congrats on being a Quarter-Finalist as well. Also, major congrats on the sale and 2nd place in the Clarke-Bradbury. The more I do conventions, etc. the more I find the truly interesting people working in this field. BTW, I wrote my college senior paper on Clarke and his use of religion for my minor in Creative Writing. I discovered a lot of early Bradbury right after that. Almost retook that independent study to do a paper on Ray.

Unfortunately I'm not going to get "War Stories" out for this quarter, but it'll be early for next qtr. Work was a bear with a 13 hour day today, and I was already running on caffeine fumes. So I think verb tense checking isn’t going to happen, let alone the, “how do I twist this to make it stronger,” edits are out of the question. Messed up by the day-job again. One of these days I gotta get rid of it. :)