I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, October 19, 2015

It's just a little rain

Yea, I keep trying to tell myself that.

Anyway, whenever I see anyone list the greatest rock bands ever and the don't include Led Zeppelin or if they list the greatest rock guitarists and don't include Jimmy Page, I immediately classify them into a category of idiotic pundits. And this song is one of the (many reasons). Not only does it play well with a symphony (as it was on the original release), Page uses a non-standard guitar tuning (that is, even for non-standard guitar tunings), and he fucking nails it every. single. time. And if I could sing like Robert plant, my life would be fuller in every way. Freddie Mercury and Diamond David Lee Roth have similar ranges. Freddie is smoother, and Diamond Dave can do the scream better, but Robert is the best mix of both.


Frankly it's a little disappointing people wait for Robert to start singing before cheering the song, because that opening riff is so damn memorable.

2 comments:

Janiece said...

I also have singer's envy for Meatloaf, in addition to the artists you name. Although DLR didn't take care of his instrument, and now sounds like a bag of cats.

Steve Buchheit said...

Meatloaf could belt out a tune, that's true. I put him in the same category as Nate Ruess of Fun. Great pipes, excellent volume (really, some of the things they do you can't hit without having that large amount of air going past the vocal cords).