There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Monday, November 9, 2015

Linkee-poo worked on a Merry-Go-Round, the job was swell, I did quite well till the Merry-go-round broke down

Merry-go-round broke down. That's my theme song for the month.

Mary Robinette Kowal on how sometimes "writers block" is actually depression. "In hindsight, I’ve probably dealt with this off and on for my entire life, but last year, I tried to push past it and pretend I was fine. And it became crippling." Yes, that. She also offers some tips for moving past it. Note that in her list she doesn't restate what she initially did, admit something was wrong and seek help. That is the huge hurdle.

Noted here for the record. Yes, I'm in big-D again. Its depths aren't a great as I've experienced before, but I know the signs. I've been dwelling here since about August. I've regained weight and my snacking is almost out of control. I go from even-keel to white hot anger at the drop of a hat. There is little joy, but there is also little of the little-d side either. As I've said before, for me big-D is mostly an absence of the wave form of emotions, there's little variance off the median blah. It's my plan to make small victories over it, and then see how it shakes out come January when I should have this CT registry behind me and I might have some semblance of a life again. This is mostly from a feeling of being overtaxed. Not all of it will go away (working full-time at the office and PRN at the hospital). Some like to spout about "God not giving us anything we can't handle." I'll call BS on that right now. This is hell. But I've been here before. The only way out is forward.

Nine risk factors and one question for suicide prevention. Lots of people think it's strange we ask this question when you come in to the ER. Well, sometimes people answer yes, and then we deal with that. (Grokked from Janiece)

Because America has always loved our children, we used to send them by parcel post.

Let go and let God. Or, if you're in India, travel to Firoz Shah Kotla and leave a message for the djinn who live in the castle. I wonder if that counts as "accepting a higher power in your life" in the 12 step programs?

Having the talk about driving with your elderly parents.

The Navy tests a Polaris missile and people freak the fuck out.

In Illinois Christmas is saved! Get it on Fox News, the (budgetary) War on Christmas is won! Oh, wait, it's a union that's going to cover the electricity bill for this year's display. Never mind. Those godless union peoples, mucking around in the good God-fearing business of politics. (Grokked from Annalee Flower Horne)

Dr. Carson, The best way to get out of a hole is to stop digging one. But I don't think that's going to happen. Also pointed to because of the conservative narrative of victimization, where the blame others for stepping into "the victim" role to get ahead or gain some political advantage (when it's normally just people telling stories that run against the conservative world view), but then throw a "soccer fall" as soon as anyone checks their own stories. Instead Dr. Carson tries to offer evidence in his defense.

The new government in Canada is now allowing their publicly funded scientists to speak to the public without political minders. Strange, which party put those zampolit in place? Oh yea, the "freedom loving" party. (Grokked from Dan)

I love how at one time in this country we were afraid that a President would be directed by a "higher power", in the specific case I'm thinking of, it was the Pope. However, in conservative circles these days, it's almost de rigueur to state that you will not hold yourself to the Constitution, but to Jesus. Ted "Cruz, predictably, asserted that fear of God is absolutely vital, declaring that 'any president who doesn't begin every day on his knees isn't fit to be commander-in-chief of this nation.'" No, Ted, that is exactly not what we need. For someone who wants to lead a party that howls and whines about how the US needs to lead, and the CnC needs to be strong willed, you're willing to be lead and subservient. This is the classic definition of double-think. (Grokked from Christopher Moore)

Say, how's Michele Bachmann doing in her retirement? Same whackaloon, same bat-shit channel. Dear Israel and American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), this is why conservatives love you and support Israel. Feel safer now?

So, anyone going into Starbucks humming "Red Solo Cup"?

No comments: