I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, June 3, 2016

Linkee-poo, just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving

The struggle to pay for college doesn't just include the costs of college. This isn't new, but I have a feeling a lot of boomer parents are just discovering this. When I graduated with my BFA, I had to quit my job at the Admissions Office and at the campus bookstore. My landlord was also sad to lose his helper (especially since I was repainting his properties) and I lost some freelance clients (not that I was making much there). And with the current associates degree, I was still working a full-time job while going to class and clinicals full-time. Have I ever mentioned stealing toilet-paper as an undergraduate to help make ends meet (which is why I consider real, comfortable toilet paper a luxury even to this day)? Yeah. Not a new story.

Has somebody checked the Florence house of Gucci designer Alessandro Michele for signs of stroke? Because evidence suggests ischemic changes to the brain. Seriously fashion press, give it all the wine tasting adjectives you want, this shit isn't a "quirky Italian vision", it's ugly. Nobody dresses like this. And if they did you'd be justified for taking them to the hospital. (Grokked from John)

Smart earplugs for the battlefield. Yeah, I'm not sure I'd wear them either. But then having good training before you engage in a real firefight would be necessary. You have to learn to trust the tools (and know their limits).

"Donald Trump on Thursday ramped up criticism of the judge presiding over fraud cases against Trump University, declaring that U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel has 'an absolute conflict' in the case because of his 'Mexican heritage.'… 'I’m building a wall. It’s an inherent conflict of interest…'" Well, at least the Trumpster knows he's being racists.

"A Donald Trump delegate from Tennessee… has said that while he's backed the people rising up to take back their government from tyranny, he believes some U.S. leaders need to be 'eliminated.'" Gee, why do liberals see conservatives as whackaloons? I don't know.

So, six years after promising to show us what the GOP plan was for governing, other than saying "NO" to President Obama, Paul Ryan rolls out his plan for "a better way." Sorta, he didn't actually have the plan, just a stack of papers to show and a bunch of "rah rah, America" talk. So, six years in and still no actual plan. Anybody else think his staff is just ripping off the covers of his "budget" and "healthcare plan" and recovering them with "A Better Way"? But on the positive side, the GOP seems to have cornered the market on dramatic and rising tension music clips. I'm reminded of the Door's front man Jim Morrison's arrest for public indecency for supposedly exposing himself to the audience, which there's good evidence he didn't. But after he supposedly did he asked the crowd, "Did you see it, you saw it didn't you?" Same thing, people will want to believe because Paul Ryan held up a stack of papers that he actually showed them the plan. "It is a tale. Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing." - Macbeth Act 5.

No comments: