There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Monday, December 24, 2018

Back

So back from vacation. Did I miss anything?

Holy fucking shit. I feel like Jon Stewart retiring just before Donal Trump won the nomination. Seriously, government shut down, resignations, Syrian pullout, stock market performance… What the total fuck?!

Our president is giving the Russians everything they ever wanted (including rolling back individual sanctions). And the whole way down the Republican Party is cheering and shouting for more.

I don't think I'll be able to catch up with it any time soon.

But on the positive side I had a good vacation. It was our first time to Disney and we did it fairly well. Plus my wife and I still can get along (it's sometimes hard to know when you work like she and I do). Did we do everything? Nope. That's okay. Was it incident free? Nope. But if you accept that life is messy and you can't always get what you want, things go better.

Tomorrow is Xmas, and I'll be back at work (at the hospital). I've seen several mentions on my social networks about giving thanks for all those who work on the holidays. It's out pleasure to be there when you need us. Do not feel guilty about needing help from these services on the holiday. It helps us realize how much it's worth it.

Also, while everyone pretends to be happy with family, just know that most people aren't. Or they spend it with their family of choice. Or they spend it alone. It's okay to not feel the "joy" everyone else seems to have. There is nothing wrong with you. I've been trying to help a coworker who lost his Dad suddenly right after Thanksgiving. This is my story to him. What you're feeling is perfectly acceptable and right. If you're sad, that's the right emotion. If you find yourself laughing at an experience or memory, that's the right emotion. The holidays are rough enough without forcing yourself to be something you're not.

So happy Yule, you all. May the New Year find us all in a better place by its end.

No comments: