I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, January 7, 2013

Linkee-poo will tell you she's an orphan, after you meet her family

Jason Sandford wants to know your worst examples of subtitles.

Saladin Ahmed's essay on the popularity necessity, and history of world-building in fantasy.

Neil Gaiman with about the only writing advice you'll need. Okay, not really but it's still pretty damn good. (Grokked from Joe Hill)

Shaun Farrell of is looking of input and writers of reviews.

A long description of to different publishing terms regarding rights to print and distribute in various countries. Or, "Why you can't buy my (once I get published) book in Germany right away, no matter how much I may want to sell it to you." (Grokked from Tobias Buckell)

Following on the various posts regarding placing massive troves online, now the Dead Sea Scrolls are online. Actually I thought they had done this before, but maybe I'm remembering the start of the optical scanning. And now that archive is searchable. (Grokked from the Slactivist)

Russell Means on capitalism, marxism, revolution, and indigenous culture. Sometimes the enemy of my enemy is my friend, sometimes it's the same old bastard in different clothes. If you're writing a story that involves an oppressed people finding their way and resisting being defined by their oppressors, you really should read this. Or if you just want to understand the American Indian mind a little more clearly, this is a good primer. If this is the first you've heard of Russell Means, this wiki article is a good starting point. (Grokked from Tobias Buckell)

The Slactivist with a story about the real American Work Ethic. I've had conversations like that. Including the internal "rebellious commitment to doing good work as a way of doing justice for the customer and simultaneously flipping off the bosses — that’s pretty much all that’s keeping corporate America afloat."

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Okay, GOP, do it. Don't raise the debt ceiling. Just fucking do it. I'm tired of this crap. No, don't blink. You've placed your rhetoric on the line. I triple-dog-dare you. Why? Because I'm tired of this brinksmanship and doing this will destroy any credibility the GOP has left and history will sweep you under a rug. The rest of us will then have to put the pieces back together again and maybe an intelligent, savvy, respectable opposition party will be formed to take your place. Sure, we'll be in the economic deep end for years, but by the time my nieces and nephews get into their major earning years and I hit retirement it'll be solved, without the GOP. This is what happens when you bully too much. Those being bullied become immune to it and are just waiting for their moment when you've spooled out enough rope.

Tweet of my heart: This is going to be a little different. This is really why you should follow @MaryRobinette, because there are these wonderful gems she throws into your day, like:
@MaryRobinette: Man... cleaning out the back porch finally and there are so many random body parts. Where did all these arms come from?
AND
@MaryRobinette:Woot! Found the box of weasel fur. Now I just need to find their heads.
AND
@MaryRobinette: Curiously, the weasel heads were in the same box where I put the leftover eagle balls.
AND
@MaryRobinette: I'm heading to the back porch with my box of weasel heads.

No comments: