I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Weekend Linkee-poo wonders if it really is the weekend why am I still working

As I feared, not a whole lot of time. Also, the washer broke this week. I've repaired it on both a "permanent" level as well as a temporary fix on another to get it working (level up, unlock ability "Handyman"). And everything else going on. So I haven't even checked on where my reading list is at for the past 4 days.

The art of the opening line, all of them from Elmore Leonard. (Grokked from Tor.com)

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, until they become my enemy once again. And then we'll worry about the chemical weapons we gave them. Iraq during the Reagan administration which conveniently looked past the evidence that Saddam gas his own citizens and even the evidence that he was going to do it again. (Grokked from the Slactivist)

And as we look at new uses of chemical weapons, Janiece reminds us to remember the people we will be putting in harms way.

Then, Jim Wright has a few thoughts about the Syria mess.

My thoughts? I think it's a cluster fuck waiting to happen. I think the fool's adventure in Iraq is screwing over our foreign policy (and here is the difference, BTW, in Iraq "We think he has these weapons because we still have the receipts and he wouldn't voluntarily disarm" but in Syria, "We saw him launch and we have the dead bodies to prove it", that's the difference). What do I think we should do? I think we should finally, openly, choose a side (we're already providing some support to the rebellion, but not a lot). We should counter the money flowing in from Saudi Arabia which is fueling the more radical elements of the rebellion (to the point that they are taking over). And here's the tricky part, we should work with Israel to deliver a crushing blow to Hezbollah forces in Syria. The problems, avoiding Iranian forces and an excuse to widen the war, Iraq sapped our will to intervene, our treasury, and our credibility in the world, add on top of all that a Congress that wants to hand the President a defeat (like Parliament did to Cameron).

This is not the fish you're looking for. "59% of the fish labeled "tuna" sold at restaurants and grocery stores in the US is not tuna." Business hasn't quite figured out how technology has changed the landscape. Of course, they're still counting on the consumers' desire for "cheep". (Grokked from the Slactivist)

In North Korea, Kim Jong-Il dates you. And if you break up, watch your back. Or, in other words, the little bastard is out to prove how tough he is to consolidate power and is eliminating anyone who might pose a threat to him. (Pointed to by John)

No comments: