I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Monday, January 18, 2016

Hey look, time might be coming back to my side

So the question is, which project do I work on:
  • Post-Rapture Industries - the current WIP, thinking of dumping Scrivener and going back to text edit. At the point where I hate the book. Know it needs lots of rewriting, thinking I might just start with a blank page.
  • In a Company of Ravens - Glenn Cook homage, this is the one that kicked my ass
  • The Return of Lars - elf in a human world, conscripted to kill a god, blood oaths, sleeping dragons, small magics, trickster gods, buckles swashed, a classic Hero's Journey tale
  • Requiem for a Phoenix - Future dystopian space opera, reiteration of the human drive which is to survive, history and current times told in parallel, how humans just can't help themselves
  • Sands of Qa'am - alternative middle-eastern desert world, political intrigue, cloak and dagger, jinn and magical warriors
  • Shankhill Butchers - exurban fantasy police procedural, fairy serial killer, exploration of coming home
  • Bladesman II - a continuation of my first (unpublished) novel, an internal family struggle
  • Something completely different - there have been disjointed lines coming into my head. Not sure if it's fiction or not. Not even sure if there's a story there.
Each one of these has a distinctly different feel to them. I can see (well, intuit) how I should write each, what research is needed (I've done a little on all of them) and how I will need to write them (or what I feel is the best way to get them written).

Of course, I may be just deluding myself. The calendar is filling up with work days, and there is the increase responsibilities at home while my wife takes a heavier course load. There's also a metric shit-ton of work to do around the house.

But I can't tell you how my heart sings that I might be able to start writing on a regular basis again. I've written very little the past few years. And all of that has been scattered among a lot of stories (like partial chapters for all of the above). I was damn happy I could go through and revise the story I submitted to Writers of the Future. I really like that story. However I started from a decent base (I had already rewritten it once) and much of the edits were along the lines of strengthening the story (trimming everything that wasn't story) and language usage as I already had the story in the order I wanted it.

1 comment:

Dr. Phil (Physics) said...

You gotta go with your heart. But I'd start with a new story, then decide...

Dr. Phil