I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, January 20, 2017

Linkee-poo before Confusion

Just a few things. But about to head to Confusion, my annual time to confer, converse, and otherwise hob-nob with my writing friends. So don't expect anything until Monday. Sorry. I know that Friday and Saturday are going to be yuge and bigly. But blissfully I will be unawares of things (probably not, I apologize in advance for any untoward cursing and shouting that may occur spontaneously). Relax. Do what you can. Pay attention. Stay hydrated. Take care of yourself and others. I'm sure there will be things to discuss on Monday.

Okay, sorry, this was supposed to publish yesterday (and it's still scheduled, for yesterday). But it allows me to add one more.

All mention of climate change has been removed from the White House website. Doesn't have time to vet cabinet members or hire a staff, but time enough to do this scrub. Priorities. (Grokked from Jeff VanderMeer)

So what do I really think? Well, as usual I have smart friends to tend to put things better than I can. For example, here is John Scalzi on the end of the Obama era and the start of the Trump reign.

Ima just gonna leave this here. "Rep. Tulsi Gabbard’s office won’t say who is paying for the Hawaii Democrat’s controversial trip to Syria and Lebanon this week… This isn’t the first time Gabbard has defied her party or conventional norms. She criticized the Obama administration's actions on Syria, endorsed Bernie Sanders in the Democratic primary and was one of the first Democrats to meet with President-elect Donald Trump… Gabbard, who sits on both the Armed Services and Foreign Affairs committees is opposed to U.S. military intervention in the war-ravaged country." (Grokked from Xeni Jardin) So, remember those Carrier (and Rexnord) jobs? "All told more than 1,600 jobs are leaving that Trump vowed to save." Yep, their still screwed. Also, the workers who are staying still haven't seen what the deal is. There are also a few workers who voted for Trump, who are losing their jobs, but they have faith Trump will bring them back. My advice, look what that kind of optimism did for coal. If you can move, move. Because the jobs aren't coming back, folks. Trump may capitalize on the re-shoring trend already in progress, but while the numbers of widgets out the door have increased, with automation the number of jobs are about a tenth of what they were. (Grokked from Michele)

Tweet of my heart: @KAmorphous It's not just a Farewell Address from Obama. It's a Farewell Address from the America I was starting to have hope in. #ObamaFarewell (Grokked from Shiela)

No comments: