I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, April 12, 2019

Valar dohaeris

I haven't seen this take on the coming season of Game of Thrones, and while I frankly don't believe it'll play out this way, I give it a 33% chance of happening. Strap in.

Winter is coming.

It depends on how you want to look at GoTs. Is it fantasy? Are you sure. Because I'm going to say it's not. It's horror.

What's the difference? Fantasy rewards hope, horror doesn't care about your hope.

So let's look at look at the story so far, shall we. What is the one thing everyone will warn you about when you start watching? "Don't get too attached to anyone you might like." Why? Because they're gonna die soon. Hope does not survive.

While some characters have redeeming arcs after starting on the "wrong" side of the morality play, The Hound is Lancelot after all and Jamie only had to lose a hand and let his little brother into his head before finding a change of heart (well not completely, he is "Kingslayer" after all), all that remain have been compromised in some fashion (maybe not Samwell Tarly, but he did break his vow to the Night Watch). They are all tainted, no-one has made it out without compromise.

Who will end up on the Iron Throne? Well, sure, were all probably pulling for Jon and Daenerys (depending on your personal bent), and I have my own theory of what Arya is running from (or to) in the previews, but I'm not so sure.

Game of Thrones is huge morality play. Nobody deserves to win, and death is the only victor in war. And we have an impersonation of Death in this play. And GoTs is horror.

The Night King will win, but he won't sit on the Iron Throne.

The White Walkers are implacable, resourceful, and how can you defeat an enemy who staffs their own ranks with your dead?

That's the answer to Daenerys' vision. GRR Martin has been hinting at this all along. Winter is coming.

Valar morghulis.

(Editors note) I don't have HBO, so I won't see it until I can buy the DVDs. So I won't be watching Sunday. No I don't mind about spoilers, never have.

No comments: