I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Our Meeting is Next Tuesday

Well, ain't this fun. My guess is that you'll hear how this person just didn't feel like council was listening to them, didn't grant a permit or prevented them from doing something they either always did before, or had planned on doing. Usually resulting in monetary loss. Not like we don't have those people here either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad the government has to push people around.
The government is to blame for this one, but you won't hear that fact on the news.

George Vreeland Hill

Steve Buchheit said...

Well George, I'm so glad we aren't, you know, blaming the victims here. And considering the gunman was shoot dead, I don't think it turned out well for anybody.

It's more a shame that there are people who feel the law doesn't apply to them. Who feel that they can behave anyway and do whatever they want, especially when it's to the detriment of everybody else. Or those that believe they are the "real power" in the community, even though they've never done anything to deserve that except exist. It's just a plain fact that some bullies never learn or grow out of it.

While I don't know all the facts in this incident, that the gunman's federal lawsuit was dismissed pretty much solidifies my perception of them. Let's just say I have experience with the type. I've been thwarting bullies since grade school.

As for governments not pushing people around, I'm sure you wouldn't want us to follow that same dictum when it comes to murders (which this person obviously was), rapists and other criminals. From what I've heard this person had been cited for some other offenses as well as had to be physically removed from council chambers for being belligerent. They were criminal, and took the criminal's way to end it. That they weren't already in jail shows the restraint governments constantly show, and the sense of proportion they have.

So the reason you won't hear that fact on the news, George, is because it's entirely untrue. I'm sure this wack job felt they were being oppressed, but what they really needed was therapy, not a microphone.

As a representative of government, I work for the people. All the people. So while I'll try and help individuals, I have to balance that with the rights of everybody. I could go on, but then I'd be writing a book about government.

Thanks for stopping by.