I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
And so the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday Avoidance

Yeah, absolutely, positively not going anywhere near a commercial outlet today. I might checkout some online deals, but until it's legal for me to carry my machete in the mall, not going to go there. Wednesday at Sams' Club was crazy enough.

Went out to continue decorating for the holidays, but it just started to snow as I went out, so not much got done. I did try rigging up the replacement effect box. So, the box is supposed to take three sets of light strings. All I had hooked up was three LED strings and three normal extension cords (okay, 15 foot extension cords, but only one string was plugged in on the other end). I was running into some kind of under voltage condition where only half the strings would light up (even when I took it down to one string by itself). So, what I'm thinking I need to do is my own box (probably won't happen) or rewire the strings extending the line with good copper wire.

Words hadn't been flowing for the past week since I finished Chapter 33. Yes, it's a good idea for me to start the next chapter before finishing the word outputage for the day. This morning in the shower, though, they started flowing again. Some of the crucial linkages made sense. I got them down before loosing them back into the void.

Now I need to start writing again. How are you spending the day?

4 comments:

Rick said...

Hey Steve. I spent the day working on my new werewolf novel and wondering if the rest of you guys were out there suffering, too. Good to know you were as well!

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I have been playing videogames. Today is the day, Saturday, that I will return to the world of writing and serious scholarly pursuits. Even writers, in my opinion, need time off.

Steve Buchheit said...

Hey Rick, I didn't spend the whole day writing, but I did get about 2000 words out in total. They were disjointed over several chapters, but near the end it started flowing in order again. So I have about 80 or so words on Chapter 34.

Since today is sunshiny I'll spend some time outside decorating. But I hope to get back to the words tonight.

Steve Buchheit said...

Stewart, yes. Time off can help. If all a writer does is write, they only have so much life stored up to play out on the page until they start writing suburban-housewife-angst literature. At least that's IMHO. And there's enough writers sitting in dark rooms in desperate need of a shower and grooming churning out such masterworks that they don't need the likes of us hacks mucking up the market with our strange ideas of action, motion, conflict, growth and all the rest including our tinges of horror, fantasy, and science fiction.