There's battle lines being drawn.
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Young people speaking their minds
getting so much resistance from behind

Monday, July 21, 2014

Linkee-poo don't know where I belong, don't know where I went wrong

Today I got my ARRT certificate in the mail. I is official! A few minutes later I submitted my application for Ohio State licensure. Anyone need an x-ray?

Grammar Girl has a few things to say about Weird Al's "Word Crimes."

Hey, you know how this whole NetNeutrality thing is based on the premise that current providers aren't throttling anybody's connection? As should be a surprise to no one, yea, they're lying about that. (Grokked from Dan)

Feeling a little slow lately? Why not strap a 9 volt to your head. That's the radiolab story on trans-cranial direct current stimulation (tDCS). I've held the suspicion that the electrical shock I received as a child had lasting effects on my head and that the longer I live, the less "energy" boost I'm getting. Well, now there may be a way to recharge. I wonder if you can mod a tens device to do this?

Speaking of x-rays, apparently you can generate x-rays by unrolling tape in a vacuum. As someone with accreditation, I can say looking at the x-rays that these are very low-energy rays, and I worry about the dose these scientists are giving themselves (I'll note the lead guy is wearing a radiation badge, and whomever's hand is shown over the device is wearing a ring badge, but those are the only ones in view). The problem with low energy x-rays is all they do is increase skin entrance doses, but don't provide diagnostic quality images (this is why we use aluminum filtration, which increases the average energy levels and removes the lower energy x-rays leaving only the diagnostic quality rays). (Grokked from Karl)

Think skimping on sleep will help? Think again.

No, Speaker Boehner, it is a joke. I notice you're careful not to say the President has violated the Constitution yourself, and only quote other people. Coward. I name thee coward. This is a stunt to secure your position in the next Congress and to throw red meat to the whackaloon base you need to keep your majority. Not only for the reasons your "friend" points out (and here I use quotes because we only have the "friend's" letter to go on), but because if the President is going beyond the Constitution your job is clearly outlined in the Constitution. You must impeach. It's your duty. Because you haven't (because you know you don't have a case), I'm also also going to name you a liar. Again, you hide behind others' words, and that has been good enough for the press since Reagan. It isn't for the rest of us. There is only one way out of this, Speaker Boehner, and that path leads to your "retirement" or winning an impeachment. That's the road you're on, and I know you see this as well, but think you can thread between Scylla and Charybdis. You can't. Your base won't let you. And we all know just what chances your suit has (which we all know won't be resolved before the election this Fall, unless a judge decides to have some fortitude and throws it out, which then you get to rail against the "conspiracy" and file an appeal, which again won't be resolved until after the election). No thank you for wasting our time and money, Mr. Boehner. Stick a fork in it, pal, you're done. (Grokked from Eric)

Also, in case you think I'm being a little over the top, you can hear roughly the same thing from Eric, but with more legal weight. This is a joke, it'll mostly like be thrown out. And I'll remind everyone that Speaker Boehner announced he would sue before he and his team actually figured out what to sue over.

Mitch McConnell, having won against a hard right challenger, now swings to the left and denies everything.

"'Texans are willing to put boots on the ground, but we expect Washington to foot the bill,' (Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott) said." That pretty well encapsulates the conservative mind set. I think they'll find it doesn't work that way. When the President calls up the Guard, the Federal Government pays for it. When the Governor calls them up, it's all the State's money. But this will give them something to complain about while they try to look good by skirting posse comitatus and using the Guard in the completely wrong way, while throwing red meat to their base.

No comments: